Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Taking Siesta Seriously






Yesterday, I was adrift in what I like to call the big "slow down" and I began to take siesta seriously. Today, if you were to point out a spot with a little sun, I could find a way to get comfy and fall asleep. Which is exactly what I did the other day.

I took a nice SLOW walk to Salinas and the beach. While people were frolicking around half naked I was geared up for the tundra (thanks for the fleece,Cricket!!). 

I'm from Key West and anything near 70 degrees with a stiff breeze is like Christmastime for me. So there I am, long sleeve T, pants, and hoodie with the hood pulled up. I find a place in the sand with no towel and lay down for a bit. The sand is warm and the surf is soothing. I read my copy of The Sun Also Rises and fall asleep on my backpack to the vision of surfers getting some big waves.

When I wake up I realize I probably look like a bum. I laugh to myself and wait for someone to come up and ask "Tell me..How do I get that sexy Uni-bomber look?" 

Seriously, people are going to start to think I'm a bum. The only thing that saves me is when I pull out my computer and I get a look like I've invented the wheel. 

Tio hates my backpack. "Why don't you get a small purse and wear a dress once in a while?" he says mortified to see a woman carrying a bag that's as big as her. I tell him "I have small purses but I like my big bag best." It is hands down the best thing I bought before this trip along with the portable hard drive I put all my pics on.

"What do you need in that thing?" he scoffs. "Well, I have my camera, computer, raincoat, sketchbook, pencils, paints and some lip gloss." I tell him. 

"Why do you walk around so much?" he asks shaking his head. "I walk a lot because to see people and nature; it gives me inspiration for paintings. I do the same thing when I am in Key West but I'm on a bike." I explain.

Yesterday, I looked around his field and asked what he was a growin'. He loved that and told me everything I wanted to know. I saw a pumpkin plant that had a cool flower on it and decided to sketch it. So I plopped myself down in the field. Tio was to the side of me gardening and the sheep were behind me making noise. 

Ah, Heaven...

At one point, Tio smiled and walked over with a giant empty dog food bag and ripped it up so I could sit on it. I think he finally got it. And he had the good sense to accessorize my outfit with the right kind of bag.

No comments: