Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Madrid Day 2 - Parque del Buen Retiro





On to the Parque del Buen Retiro. Think Central Park but cleaner. It was turned from hunting grounds into a personal retreat for Felipe IV. I loved the bubbly trees. They looked like the kind of trees you draw as a kid.

It was blazing hot so I sat for a bit in the shade and had a drink. My waiter, pictured above came by asking "Como Estas?". I said "Bien y tu?" He then said that he was freezing in a nice sarcastic tone. We both laughed and I then realized this was the first Spanish sarcasm I actually understood. I had to document it and asked if I could photograph him. He seemed surprised but as you see posed quite nicely. 

He asked if I needed anything else and I said no. He then started saying something else quickly which I didn't quite get and a smile of bewilderment graced my face. We both started laughing again and he patted me on the back. 

As I left the park I was approached by a group with a question. "Where are the botanical gardens?"  I then gave basic directions to the botanical gardens in Spanish. Crazy.

No comments: