Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Come 'on - Let's party like it's 1479!







Yesterday was a big day. Senior Spring Break wore me out a bit and so today I chose to take it easy. 

Went to the beach and sat in the rock lounge to begin reading "A Farewell to Arms". Why have I not read Hemingway until now? He writes from experience and lives it up - I like it. 

As I sat in the rock lounge and had a bite to eat, I watched high tide rumble in and crash into shore. The best part was when it went back. As the water receded, the sound it make on the rocks was breathtaking. The water went running back to it's source screaming, "Wait don't forget me!"

After the beach, I decided to check out Aviles. For the last two weeks they have been celebrating the San Augustin festival. I guess it's the city's patron saint and in it's honor they have party upon party. They have had games for both kids and adults; films in the plaza; and a Van Halen tribute band called Ban Jalen. This is the 80's version complete with a Spanish David Lee Roth.

This week it's the Medieval Festival to commemorate the markets in Aviles cerca 1479. Which brings me to my favorite medieval quote from "The Cable Guy". 

Jim Carrey and Matthew Broderick go to the Medieval Times restaurant and Matthew asks an annoyed waitress (Janine Garafalo) for a fork. Her response is as follows:

I've been looking forward to this and have been desperately searching for the animal market. Today I found the main part of the mercado and walked through it even though it was closed for siesta. It looks like a good time and I'll get up early tomorrow to catch it pre-siesta if possible.

Speaking of parties, one senior asked me if I liked to dance when we were disembarking the tour bus last night. I said "Sure." Then she invited me to an upcoming dance. Tio got all excited and said, "Yes, we'll go to it next Wednesday." I imagine it'll be interesting to see some possible authentic dancing. If anything, I could teach the Seniors how to do the Robot.




No comments: