Saturday, August 16, 2008

Basketball and Paella






I've never been a huge fan of the Olympics but I have been watching them here. Spaniards are really proud of any win. If there's a win in something even as small as table tennis, the whole country basks in it's glow. "YES! We did it!!" By the way, the Spanish table tennis team are all Chinese people which I find totally hilarious.

So I came back early from drawing at the beach today to catch the Spain vs. United States basketball game. The family was going to watch it at the house and asked "Who do you favor?" I said "No se" (I don't know) which I find works in many situations. 

When I got to the house, Jose called me over. "Penelope! Come here!" I walked over to the table to find a large pan of Paella. YES! "Take a picture of this" he said. The family is starting to get into my groove of things. I take a few shots and as my eyes light up Angel asks "Are you hungry?". "Yes, and I want!" I exclaim.  

After my third helping, Angel looking surprised says "You were hungry." I nod and tell him this is my favorite thing. I tell him my dad makes it but this is even better than his. "Well, Of Course! It's from Spain!" I hear (This by the way, is something I hear a lot). It starts raining and Jose and Angel start telling the women what to do. "Get the coffee and tart ready we've got to watch the game!" The women scurry about getting desert and coffee ready and I laugh. I say to Jose that this is a switch, usually it's you guys doing the work and the ladies yelling out orders to you. He laughs.

I watch the game for a bit but retire for a little siesta. Really the only thing that keeps my interest in the Olympics is Wimbeldon champ Rafa Nadal. When he's on, my eyes are glued to the screen. I'm in love. I dig his quiet demeanor when he talks about his game, the way he carries himself, how he celebrates each win like it's the first and when he takes his shirt off; well it ain't bad.

It had rained a bit today and as I took my nightly walk to through the farm, I notice tons of slugs and snails crawling all over the place. Tio is off to feed the chickens and I say "Tio!! Look slugs and snails!". He nods and tells me it's a natural thing to see them after rain. I smile and go to touch one and he says "Don't touch that it's dirty!". Yes, but I love them!

Saw a wedding today in the plaza. They had these two guys playing music in traditional garb. It sounded more Irish than anything else. Reminded me of John Wayne in the "Quiet Man". 

Going to go get another helping of Paella and see if Rafa is on!

No comments: