Saturday, August 9, 2008

Feliz Cumplianos Desi!!






Today was Desi's 15th birthday and the family came over for a good ole Spanish BBQ. It was a really good time! A lot of meat and this drink that comes from Asturias called Sidra. I read about it before I came over and the picture of Jose pouring it is how they serve it. You get a little bit and you're supposed to drink it in one gulp. It's an apple cider and I had a couple and they were awesome!

I thought it was going to be a chill day where I would sit back and watch the party but there were a lot of questions. Good practice for my Spanish. Now I will tell you that anything I mention below was said all in Spanish. 

The relatives had a lot of questions about America. I didn't expect it because I'm so interested in learning about their Spanish culture I didn't think that they would want to know about mine. I heard my name every few minutes. Below is a sample of today's Q & A:

"Penelope! Penelope! Is everyone in America rich?"
"No, There are rich people and poor people" I said.

There was a question I couldn't quite understand about George Bush but I could tell by my relative's face how she felt about him. My response was "There are many people in America who don't like George Bush. George Bush is very stupid." (they all laughed)

"Penelope! Penelope! Is there a lot of plastic surgery in America? "Yes, everyone wants Jennifer Lopez's ass."

They were all so nice and it was good to hang out with them have some good food and Sidra. 

 

No comments: