Sunday, August 17, 2008

How many things can you do in a rock?






It was a clear, blue day so I decided to walk down to the beach in Salinas and see what's going on. Instead of hitting the regular beach, I checked out a small rocky beach to the left and found my new favorite spot. It was fairly empty over there and as I walked down the rocks I looked around for a place to land. I found a nook in a rock hill that looked like it was made for me. Sloped back and in a great spot. As soon as I sat in it I was comfortable; my own personal rock lounge.
How many things can you do in a rock? Well, today six things:
  1. Eat an apple
  2. Read a book
  3. Draw a picture
  4. Paint a picture
  5. Take photos
  6. Talk with a stranger
I painted for a little bit and then climbed down the rock to the water. On my way back up, I encountered a guy and we started chatting. He asked me if I was painting and I told him yes. He asked me if I was from France; told him I was from the U.S. So far no one has pegged me for an American which I kinda like. I've been tagged as a Italian; a Spaniard (by the way people talk to me) and now French. 

He told me my Spanish was good and I thanked him. I told him that I'm learning a lot since no one here speaks English. He laughed and said "Yeah, just the kids know it." I retorted with "Yes, they're the ones I ask if I need to find a word in Spanish." 

Felt good about my language skills progressing. The other day I talked with a guy from Ecuador who was selling things on the beach. He noticed I was all bundled up and asked where I was from. He's been the only one to understand why I'm a bit cold here and he asked me "Don't you want to visit Ecuador?". I said "Yes, I want to visit Easter Island." "Ah, Galapagos!". "Si!". 

Anyway, after painting a bit I wanted something to eat. The apple didn't cut it so I headed to the cafe by the beach and asked for a Coca-Cola when something caught my eye. Ham flavored Ruffles. I had to try them. 

I told you the Spaniards liked their meat and they love it so much there is a picture of a ham leg on a Ruffles pack. How did it taste? Not bad, kinda smokey.
The meat thing I've got to figure out. I noticed yesterday that even their dogs look sausage-like. 

The pics above are of a dragonfly I saw on the way to the beach. I've only seen that electric blue color in my dreams. Also the view from my rock lounge, a pic of the actual lounge and a floating head. 

No comments: