Thursday, August 14, 2008

Platos, Pig Snouts and Thongs






Where can you get pig snouts and thongs all in the same place? Why the Wednesday outdoor market in the plaza, that's where!! I tell the family "I need to buy some socks." and they tell me to go to the plaza on Wednesday. Monica, a British woman who helps out Tio and Consuelo, also confirms this. She also adds: "But watch out for the gypsies." 

Huh? 

The only time I have heard about gypsies was a story about my grandma. She let a band of gypsies in her house one time to paint her basement. They painted her basement silver and they left with some of her stuff. Cool! Bring on the gypsies!!

So I take this side road that's quiet to the plaza. My plan is to get some coffee first and then hit the market except by taking this road I walk smack dab into the market in full swing. Sensory overload - I listen to conversations, watch people argue over garlic and take a look at signs that say "Solemente dia! Tres camisettas por 3 Euros!!" A loud boom goes off every few minutes. It's as if to say BOOM "Hey, It's Wednesday in Spain, Ole!"

I get entranced by this cart with a rotisserie chickens spinning and a little boy ready to serve people meat. I take a picture and all of a sudden this man appears with a booming voice and a mischevious smile - "Did I give you permission to take that photo?" he says. "Lo Siento, No entiendo!" I say smiling and laughing. When he turns around I quickly run away.

Get home in time for lunch. Meals here are big and include the following: Soup, Salad, Some kind of Meat, Potatoes, Fish, Tostada and Dessert. Oh and don't forget the wine. 

Consuela and Tio think I'm too thin so they constantly ask me if I want more bread. I think I eat a loaf with each meal. Here's how the game goes:

In the beginning of the meal, ALL of the plates of food are in front of me. While I eat, I get questioned - "What you don't like tostada? You don't like fish?" they say in a hurt tone. I reply "Yes, I do!" and I shovel whatever food they have mentioned in my mouth. It's kinda like food bingo. I know they are doing this to fatten me up. 

All right Tio, I'll play your silly little game, but the jokes on you. I can pack it away till the cows come home but it goes nada. I've frightened many a people with my appetite. Chef Michael at the restaurant I work at has seen this. He feeds us a delicious dinner before each shift and has exclaimed more than once "Where the hell does it all go?". I usually shrug while I take my third helping. I don't know, it's just the way I'm built.

Tio constantly tries to give me wine. He says "You drink wine cause Wine likes you." as he pours me a large glass. I have to remind him I drink in the evening cause I have things to do in the day. When I refuse him he says "I'm shocked!" in his broken English. "Tio you know I drink in the evening because then I can go pass out upstairs." I say. He laughs and understands but pours me some anyway.

Ah, such is the market and meals of Espana. I didn't get my socks. In typical woman fashion I went for socks but got a cute shirt instead.

BOOM! Ole!



No comments: