Friday, September 12, 2008

Scoutin'






Been spending some time figuring out what I can use to get out and about. I love a good puzzle and traveling offers that to me. Plus, if I go too long without some sort of an adventure, I feel like I need to shake things up a bit. Also been planning my trip to Barcelona which is pretty much set once I make the reservations. In doing a bit of research, I found a couple great traveling options straight out of PB and tested one yesterday in between rain showers.

After visiting Aviles to inquire about getting a bus ticket to Cudillero, I was told I couldn't buy one until the day of. Took a look around the station and found a train schedule that happened to list a Piedras Blancas stop. I had seen the train sign walking in town so this was the perfect opportunity to go and visit the station.

It rained steadily yesterday but when I was at the station taking a look at the schedule, I could see it breaking exactly in the direction I wanted to go. A train came by so I hopped on. The FEVE lines are a rural metro line and really nice. A trip to my end destination, the last on the line, cost 1.45 Euros - not bad. I love trains better than buses, they're just so easygoing and peaceful. Got a great sight of the countryside and went past a couple of the towns that Tio had taken me through.

When we reached Cudillero, I spotted the sea from the train and knew exactly which direction to go. Cudillero, a cool old fishing village, is built into the side of a good sized mountain. Walked for quite a while till I hit the town but once I got there, the buildings weaved an easy path down to the bottom of the hill. Didn't have a map but just used intuition to get me to the right spots. All I kept thinking going down was good God, this is going to be one hell of a walk back up.

Looked at a couple of the cafes and thought about getting some lunch until I smelled them. There was a fishy smell coming out of many of them and it wasn't the good kind. After seeing the tourist price of 38 Euros for a meal, I opted out. The other day I had a delicious meal in Salinas - rice and shrimp complete with a glass of wine for 11 Euros.

Walked down to the harbor and watched this guy hand fish with his dog standing guard. The waves crashed into the lighthouse shore and it amazed me how the sun broke out perfectly for my trip. Took a look around the harbor when I spotted a tunnel with water rushing out. It looked too interesting not to go in and check it out.

A narrow walkway that many looked into but didn't go down. I took the path and really loved the sound of water rushing past. It was pretty dark in the middle and suddenly I asked myself if this was a good place for rats. Then I had to shut my mind up and sing LA LA LA LA so I could get through the rest of the tunnel. When I came out I found myself at about midway up the hill.

Saw a group of rain clouds starting to move in and decided this was a sign to go. Checked the schedule times I wrote down and if I can hoof it fast enough, I'll make the next train. Start walking and get a glorious cloud show to match the equally pretty countryside. I surprise myself with how easy it was to get back up to the train station.

Buy a ticket at the automatic machine and try to put it into the gate to get in but having some problems. No one's here I thought so I'll just jump the stubborn gate. Uh, good thing I didn't cause the train station jefe peaks out and gives me some instruction on how to get through.

There's two tracks and I'm used to a subway style that has you on either side depending on which direction you're going. So I knock on the Jefe's door and ask him if the train to Piedras is going to be on the track closest to the building. He confirms it and I smile and thank him. When the train comes me and this other guy get on. The conductor moves from the back to the front and when the Jefe comes out with his little conductor hat; he gives a train whistle and we're off!

I get back and it's starting to rain again. When I finally arrive back at the house, Consuelo asks me where I went today, "the beach?". "No, Cudillero." I get a lot of questions from her and Marie Carmen about how I got there. Told them about the train and that prompts a lot more questions on how I knew where to go, how I got there, etc. etc. I read Spanish a lot better than I speak it. By the inquisitive questions I'm getting, I'm starting to think that they've never been on it themselves.

Scoutin' pays off.

Speaking of adventures - Congrats to Cricket and Rob on welcoming little Seava! An adventure baby just like her mama, she was born in the midst of hurricane Ike and an evacuation. So happy for the whole family and glad to know that you're safe and sound!!






No comments: