Thursday, September 25, 2008

Museo Day







Starting to really get into the natural rhythm of things here. My days are flowing easily and finally making sense of the mid-day siesta. I went early to Gijon to catch some museum action and it's cold outside. At least cold for me.

On the way out, the train passes by this yard with a one horse. Today he's hanging with a dog who is stretched out in front of him laying lazily on the lawn.

People are still dressed in their casual fall attire but I am bundled. Once the sun burns bright it's easy enough to strip off layers and it feels good. I really wanted to see this Asturias born artist, Hugo Fontela, but his show had closed a few days before. Not to worry, there were plenty of other museums to catch and all free.

Saw one show that had really cool sketches of balloons in different landscapes that ultimately led to an installation. Then headed over to another building that had photos of the fishing markets from the 1920's. The photographer had great shots of older women with rolled cigarettes hanging out of their mouths accompanied by a giant fish in one hand.

Saw a sketches from a sculptor's sketchbook and the final pieces depicting life in Spain way back when. I love seeing these things, it's a peak into someone's mind. How they see life and what they build out of that vision is amazing.

All of these museums are in amazing old castle type buildings which rival the art they hold. I really dig Gijon. It has a lot to offer.

After seeing pictures of fish it was time to visit the aquarium. They had some interesting installations where you could literally pop your head into the aquarium. Bubble domes were in the floor of whatever you were seeing and you just got in and gawked. Gave great views of stingrays, fish, sharks. My favorites were the pufferfish with beautiful designs. As I looked at the big tank, I thought how fun it is to actually swim with these amazing creatures. Before I left town I got to swim in a school of tarpon, it was surreal. Nothing beats snorkeling.

Is is possible to OD on ham? I think I'm going to find out. Eating enough pork products for years to come and I wonder where the insatiable appetite for pig products end. Apparently it doesn't.

A couple of days ago I wanted to check out this tapas/wine bar and had a ham tostada along with a great red. I keep thinking that the tapa I order will be a small nibble but am always surprised by the size of it. Which is what happened when I ordered this and told the waiter it's too big. He just shook his head saying nooooo wagging a finger at me. I ate the whole thing and afterwards he proceeded to jokingly mock me and I nodded that he was right. While eating, the place filled up and I got to see my boyfriend Rafa play against the American. Can't get any better than this.

Went to the beach to hang for a bit and ran into this guy Jose I had met the day before. By the way, every guy here is either named Jesus or Jose. It makes it really easy not to forget someone's name. We started chatting and he asked me if I had email. Spain is definitely on the internet highway. It's great to run into these guys cause I get an opportunity to brush up on my language skills. He also tells me something I'm really happy to hear.

The other day, I watched a coast guard helicopter fly over and do what I thought was an exercise. After rounding the corner, I realized it was a rescue and the helicopter had landed on the beach leaving the victim to be resuscitated. I didn't think she made it but she did. According to Jose, she was swimming and got dragged out to sea. A fisherman saw her floating and called the coast guard. Fisherman have all kinds of skills.

Does the financial circus and U.S. election look as ridiculous over there as it does here? Shook my head as I saw McCain decide to bow out of the first debate and suspend campaigning cause that's what you do in a crisis; avoid talking about it.

He's not going to Washington to solve a problem, he's avoiding talking about his involvement in this f*ck up. Lately when I see him on TV I get an image of the grumpy bald eagle from the Muppets.

Everyone is screaming the sky is falling and want to rush into throwing money at the problem.

Maybe we need a fisherman to step in.





No comments: