Saturday, September 20, 2008

Oviedo - Finding my own way...






Mass transit rocks. It's so easy to hop a couple trains or buses and end up somewhere new each day if you want. I wish we had these systems in the U.S. cause it's cheap and fun to explore.

Yesterday I visited Oviedo. A city similar to Madrid in it's feel and streets but cleaner. They were having a fiesta so the streets were packed and ready for a parade.

Walked around the city a bit and found the train station. The other reason I wanted to visit Oviedo was to buy tickets to Barcelona and get a lay of the land. I've got to travel out of Oviedo and I've decided I'm going out on a train and back on a bus.

After watching a 10 Euro bill get eaten by the bus ticket machine the other day and being told by the bus station guys "tough luck", I thought it wise to purchase my tickets in person than online. My instinct was correct when I visited the train station and watched two people extremely frustrated with an online reservation. Some old school methods are still the best way here. Nothing beats a paper ticket in your hand.

Took a peek around checked out the giant cathedral and walked around the university campus. The cathedral had some holographic pictures of the church's treasures. It was odd to look across the way and see Mary with a greenish glow on her face from the holographic machines. This church was spectacular with stone carvings and beautiful ornaments everywhere. It was also one of the few churches I've seen open and free.

I confess. I brokedown and went to McDonalds yesterday. It was nearing siesta time and I wanted to get a quick non-ham meal that I could eat and run. Plus I was really in the mood for a hamburger and the last time I ordered one they asked me if I wanted it with or without an egg - it just wasn't the same. McDonalds filled the bill and when I opened the doors the smell was a taste of old Americana. I imagine they have a generic container of fry scent that franchisees pump out cause every McDonalds smells exactly the same. I haven't been in one in years and they've gone a bit upscale. Flatscreen TVs and this one even sells beer. I'd love to see a drunk Grimace or Mayor McCheese.

Watched a bit of the parade which had horsemen playing trumpets while they rode. Pretty damn impressive. The nuns in the church on the corner had the best view. Knowing Jesus on a first hand basis does gets you some VIP perks. If you left any sort of space in front of you people would try to squeeze themselves in. Had several of them try a few times but they were deterred by the guy chomping on sunflower seeds to the left and another guy finally telling people to go somewhere else on my right.

I wanted to visit the day before but got a late start after a discussion with Tio. He REALLY wants me to get in the car and travel with him. I just can't do it. It's not good to spend the entire time bracing for impact. He really should not be driving. He offered to take me to Oviedo and other places in the mountains but I asked him if we could travel together in something other than his car. Nope.

A good chance for me to brush up on more of my Spanish in a "disagreement" with him.

Here's something I kinda knew already, the Spanish like to argue. It's more of a debate with punctuated with dramatic flair. It gets all wound up and then dissipates into a friendly smile, acknowledgment of a good fight and served with a side of ham.

He gave me every excuse in the book why he couldn't take a bus and kept coming at me with saying that I don't want to see the most beautiful monuments in Spain. After hearing these statements taunting me, I slammed my hand on the table and said "Look, what you are saying is not true. I want to go but not in the car because it is dangerous." I then shot back "You go on a bus for your pensionista trips (senior spring break), What is different?". I love a good debate and threw some points back at him. Consuelo loved it and just smiled.

We went another couple rounds until he told me, he would not ask me again to take me anywhere. (This is the fifth time he has said this) We ended our debate with agreeing that he just wants to see me have a good time here and I said I was. Then smiles and food. Just makes me want to get some more vocabulary under my belt. I'm just as stubborn as he is so it's a draw. The "disagreements" are the largest kick in the pants to expand my language skills cause it's like fighting with one hand tied behind your back.

I'm starting to think he doesn't like it that I'm self-sufficient. That plus the comments that "I'm running around in the streets" to which I reply "Yes." with a smile. I wonder if he thinks I'm hooking?

Most of the time I get confused looks when I tell the family where I've been or where I'm going. There's no set schedule and I decide the day when I get up where I'm gonna go or what I'm in the mood for. Can't wait to spring Barcelona on them!

Better brush up on some vocab.


No comments: