Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Candas es espectaculaRRRRRRR






Oh Candas. 

Had planned on going on Sunday but there were only a few trains. This day was cloudy which made for some great shadowy pictures. Been to quite a few different cities now and the ones I love the most are these seaside gems. Cities which are literally carved into hillsides. They have a nice flavor.

When I stopped in town, I popped into this great little pastry shop and had a dose of coffee along with one of their creations. These shops are all over the place and really good. Walked a bit and headed to the top of a hill inside a darkened church. 

Very pretty, small and had some great stained glass. On the way out, I saw that I could have paid to see it lighted. There was a "magic fingers" box machine mounted to the wall which I found pretty funny. Who knew it only cost .50 Euros to be illuminated? I wonder if the church would start vibrating too.

Followed the streets down to the bottom and the sea. After visiting a tourist office, I found there were paths along the sea with different monuments which was right up my alley. Every city here has one of these offices that will provide you with a map and other information about the place you are visiting. All you need to do is admit where you are from. I started hiking up to find the art museum and saw some fun outdoor sculptures. 

Really liking the self-timer option on my camera a bit too much. There was a fence post I propped it on to get a cliff side pic. Decided I needed to hop the fence to get the best frame and did so carefully and without much worry even though I'm scared of heights. After seeing the cliff from the other side, maybe it wasn't such a good idea but I got a great picture out of it!

Kept on walking up through woods to another chapel and lighthouse. Such beautiful views of the shore. Candas has a really nice beach with walkway beside. Most people were hanging out or swimming. Came around a bend and saw trailer heaven on the best piece of real estate I have ever seen trailers on. 

Decided to walk to the next town which I saw on the train. Originally I thought the town might be some special government housing complete with Spanish tiled roofs. It had looked a bit run down with bars on the windows but had an amazing coastline. 

When I arrived I found out it was a vacation town that currently looked like a ghost town. There was an overgrown mini golf course in the beginning and the run down houses were a lot like summer cottages from Wisconsin. Kept hiking to the top to take some more pics of these great pine trees until I saw rats running between the trail. 

Candas was espectacularRRRR!








 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Estoy contenta y tengo una pequito envidia de tu! As you just read, my Spanish isn't up to par :) I just read a little bit about your Spanish escapades - looks like you're having an amazing time. I'm really happy for you and your adventure! Take care. --Martha