Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Giving Gijon a Second Chance






After the Spanish infomercial disaster that was Gijon, I decided it was time to give it a second chance. Really glad I did. It's an amazing city and Tio and I really didn't see much of it that day. We were too busy watching potato peeling and non-stick cooking pans.

Out of the train station not knowing where I was going but just started walking. Stopped in a cafe for a dose of coffee and walked out to find a street demonstration. Whistles, a large sign and walking protest of kids and parents. Cool.

Kept walking on into a store. For some reason, the 80's are back and as much as I loved 80's music, I can't fathom trying to put on a neon, shoulder hanging, T-shirt that says "Don't hate me cause I'm hot."

Took a couple turns till I hit a large dose of wind and a breathtaking view. Wow, what a beach and right on the edge of a metro city - the best of both worlds.

Walked around the Plaza Mayor and saw an old town Gijon mixed in with a little new. This city has a wonderful blend of old and modern. Sprinkled with lots of art museums. Found a bunch I want to check out when they're open, one in particular hosting a New York artist who was born in Asturias. It's a big old castle looking joint and after peaking in to see some cool wooden horse sculptures, it's definitely on the list.

Went up past the harbor to a park which had some huge outdoor sculptures, people snoozing for siesta and one hell of a basketball/soccer court that looked out over the ocean.

Went back down past another private swim club smack dab next to the giant Catholic church looking over the beach. Thought it was pretty funny that the two were right next to each other. One promising redemption and the other promising a good martini. The Catholic church holds some damn fine properties all over the world kinda like McDonalds.

The only thing I saw that the swim club had that I wanted was the natural swimming pool that allowed water in from the ocean. The church has one too but the steps down are a little more rocky. The church pool and private pool do eventually both meet in the middle and share the same water. An interesting commentary - one has a rocky path another has a groomed one but we all end up in the same place.

As I sit on the dark stone steps in front of the church trying to warm up I realize that all bums sitting in front of churches aren't looking for God. They're looking to warm up on the black stones laid out in front of it. All churches have these stones. The church is a marketing king and works it. In case you didn't know who brought you this warmth, there are huge concrete crosses on the stone wall all along the beach. They like their logo everywhere.

Decide to head back home and after getting off the train, my feet are screaming at me. Not a surprise, since I've been wearing the $8 shoes I bought back in Hawaii to go skateboarding. Went into a Piedras sports store and found some cute walking shoes. That right there is an oxymoron. Why is it that any kind of shoes that are supposed to be good for you have to look orthopedic? Either that or nature shoes look so bulky and scream to people that you are a tree hugging freak.

In any case, found a cute Spanish pair that were on sale. When I got home, the family was more interested in my purchase than what I did in Gijon. I pulled the shoes out of the bag and felt like I was back at the first day, all of them grabbing the shoe and asking questions accompanied by a blaring TV. They start nervously asking me a question, I don't understand until they mime it. "But did you try them on?"

Ok, I officially think my family believes I'm retarded.

I give them a look and tell them "Uh yeah, I tried them on." They're infatuated with them. Can't understand why they're open in the back or on top and tell me that "but they're open? what happens when it rains?" I just shrug, my other shoes would have let in any type of water but these are non-shoe shoes that my feet are already thanking me for. Products are a big thing with the family. From day one I was asked about my sunglasses, computer, what kind of face cream I use. I don't really think much about this stuff - when I need something or really like something, I buy it.

Tio overhears me talking about wanting to go to Oviedo. After dinner he says to me "I hear you want to see Oviedo."

Oh, crap.

I tell him yes, I plan on going one of these days. He offers to go with me and he'll drive. He says "I know you don't like to ride in my car." I shake my head looking down at the ground laughing "No, I don't." I ask him why don't we take the bus or train, I like them the best. I really would like him to accompany me on these trips sans the car. He shakes his head no. He only likes to travel in his car and if I change my opinion of his driving we'll go.

Unfortunately, that's not going to happen. I'm not ready to head out to that big McDonalds in the sky just yet.






No comments: