Saturday, September 13, 2008

Let the Sidra flow!






Sidra mania has hit Piedras Blancas in the form of their annual festival. It's been rainy the last few days and I think it's finally broke for at least a little bit.

Went to the beach yesterday despite possible rain showers cause sometimes I just need to be near the water. Something I am finding as a result of island living the last few years. I get itchy if I don't see water every so often. It was churning yesterday with these storms and was cool to watch waves breaking into shore leaving no beach whatsoever. Found a spot to hide out in the rain while I watched.

Consuelo thought I was crazy going to the beach in that weather but it's nothing compared dealing with weather on a boat. The first week I started working on the snorkel boat, the captain told me to get in the water and scrub the hulls. Huh? This meant jumping in with a suction cup handle (think kitchen-mate) in one hand and a brush in the other. 

Had no clue what I was doing. I just kept slamming the suction cup onto the side of the boat and tried to scrub the algae off the bottom of it. Hanging onto that little piece of plastic, while trying not to let waves breaking near the reef smash me into the boat. I bounced around like a ragdoll. Since then the elements don't bother me too much.

After dinner, I decided to head down to the Sidra festival which would be in full swing. Learned my lesson by not showing up early to fiesta. So I bundled up and started walking when I sensed something I haven't felt in over three years.

Fall. 

A wonderful smell of home fire and dried leaves accompanied by brisk air. I breathed deeply to take it all in. God, I love that feeling. When I arrived, the fiesta was crankin'. Saw many a raised bottles pouring for tables and tried to shoot a couple. People just raised up without even thinking about it and held a dignified pose for the pour. One guy I shot looked like a dancer while doing it. When he finished and turned, his mullet tail brought back the reality.

As I was shooting, these guys started calling me over to take their photo. I laughed and motioned for them to get together. Then another group of men grabbed me and said "how bout us?" they said while pointing at themselves. So I gladly took their photo. Had a great time doing it. 

Something that I keep coming back to about this town. I always end up liking it the best because the people are real, warm and inviting. They look you in the eye and smile genuinely when passing them. You feel like you know them even if you don't. Something I love about Key West as well.

I start watching the little boys running around collecting Sidra corks. They're grabbing them as fast as they're hitting the ground. Treating them as treasures and using them to play. They chuck them across the front of the stage area and all race to get it first. The one who catches it first is victor and gets to chuck it next.

The camera battery gives out and I decide to sit and listen to the band. What's this? ENGLISH?!?! The singer is singing the blues and I've never been so happy to hear English in all my life. Since arriving, I haven't heard practically any spoken in town. He sings a couple tunes and one that sounded like it was from the beginning of Raising Arizona complete with yodeling. The grand finale was "This Land is Your Land". 

It was bizarre to hear it for two reasons. 

One: I don't think I've heard it since the second grade. And Two: people were bopping their heads along to it like it's a Mariah Carey song. Since he's singing in English I'm devouring the words and really listening to it. It makes me proud of America and reminds me of all the beauty we have back at home. I get a little homesick.

Who knew I'd have a patriotic moment at the Sidra festival in Spain?






No comments: