Friday, September 26, 2008

Keepin' it Clean.. Maybe.






Keepin' the streets clean. Are Spaniards obsessive compulsive?

My morning walk had me seeing many ladies sweeping their stoops. One who even soaped up her section of the walk and waited for me to pass before sloshing it with water. When I first got here, I had one lady stop me to express her outrage that they weren't cleaning the streets right. She was really pissed off about it.

There is a lot of care in how everything looks. Even at the cemetery the other day, I watched an older lady truck in a wheelbarrow with supplies. Now that's commitment. 

I guess it's just taking care of something you love. I also think people just like working in the earth. Tio talks about cleaning up the field for some more planting. He absolutely loves it and it keeps him young. 

Been planning to go visit another section of Spain for a day or two. Pretty much decided that I need to go and buy a bus ticket, get dropped off and find a place to stay. This is an area where there's a whole other dialect that has a bit of Portuguese in it so that should be interesting. More ways to pantomime in Spanish.  

Finally, told Tio that I'm going to Barcelona. Perfect timing as he brought out a driving map of Spain in order to pressure me to get in his car, AGAIN. Jose, MaCarmen and Manuel suddenly disappeared when he began to talk about it. I'm beginning to think that no one wants to tell him no. After smiling and saying no several times, he confessed that buses did run to many of the places he mentioned. Arguing keeps him young too.

This week I confirmed that I'm learning Spanish from dirty old men. After sharing some funny stories with Monica about who's been chatting me up from time to time, she confirmed something I already knew. And I got to hear "they're trying to get into your knickers" in an authentic British accent.

Yeah, there's something not right about a 70 year old Spaniard with a MySpace page. Again, this is something lacking in the Rosetta Stone language school: How to respond to dirty old men come ons. It blows doors off of being able to ask for an apple.

A lot of people have been stopping me to ask for directions. The thing I like best is seeing the questioners face when I start talking. It's a complete "Oh shit." moment which entertains me every time. 

I've been asked about trains, buses, and if I have any pens. Also people like to vent their frustrations about other people. Some lady ranted to me the other day as we both watched a woman with baby in stroller try to cross a street against the pedestrian light. The Spanish are not shy with their opinions.

I find that arguments of any kind help. Passionate explanation is a benefit. The other night while Zapatero, the Spanish prime minister, was on the TV, Tio started spouting off. He is a left wing leader and Tio can't stand him. Tio is a Republican which caused me to ask, "If you are from the Right, Why do you like Obama?". He started telling me in much enthusiasm that it's not about the party it's about the person. 

I got some further explanation about Zapatero and his main reason for dislike was a disrespectful gesture of not standing up and saluting the American troops and president. Respect is BIG here. Something I've learned and try to treat them with everyday. Tio is going on about it and I keep asking questions while Consuelo tries to get me to stop. She just keeps looking at me with fearful eyes and a "don't do it" nodding gesture.

I love it. Even though I may not agree with his views, I can respect it. After his speech I tell him I understand. And then I thank him for his explanation. 

To which he and Consuelo find it funny and start laughing because it's quite the opposite of what just happened. He looked like he was going to strangle someone while explaining the object of his dislike.

Hey, it all helps.




No comments: