Sunday, September 21, 2008

R.I.P. Ipod






May my Ipod Rest in Peace. It died a watery death yesterday as I was in rock climbing mode. Plopped into a watery pool and it was the day the music died. Laughed big as I watched all the water run out when I shook it. This is the second Ipod I have survived and let's hope the third time's a charm.

The sun came out full force yesterday so after hanging my clothes to dry, I headed down to the beach and decided to do some rock climbing. There's a spot to the left of the beach that has a small cove. It's beautiful and I took some pics but decided I needed a person in the frame. Seeing that I was the only one person there, I decided to jump in. As I was playing around with setting up and framing the picture, that's when the Ipod slipped. Oh well, now it brings me out of the Ipod bubble I tend to get in and it will force me to talk to more people.

No sooner then I think that, it happens. After the rock climbing excursion, I headed back to Piedras plaza to check out the tapas festival. Not too much happening yet, so I sit on a bench for a minute to rest. Jesus shows up. It's like he has a honing device for these benches. We start chatting a bit and he is very complimentary. It's nice but I like Jesus as a friend, he has other plans. Including a trip. I have to end our conversation after he tells me he thought I was 18 and gives me one more compliment. I never thought I'd utter the phrase: Jesus says I have bedroom eyes. I laugh and agree.

Go to the library for a bit to check something out and then decide to try to head back to the plaza but get stopped again. "Chica! Chica!" A man is yelling running towards me. "Yes?" I say.

"Hola chica. Que tal?" He wants to chat. He starts asking me where I'm from and after I tell him the U.S. he asks if I know Jamie Lynne Spears, Hannah Montana or Britney Spears. Good God, we export a lot of crap.

He asks me if I have an email address and when I respond yes, he whips out a small card with his email address all over it. I laugh, take it and tell him thank you. He is a little person but not a "little person" and in one swift move he jumps up and wraps his arms around my neck; pulls me down to his level, gives me a warm hug and lays a fat juicy kiss on my cheek. I'm a little surprised but the surprise quickly wears off after the fourth time. He asks me if I smoke and I when I say "no" he runs across the street in search of a smokey treat.

I duck into the corner pub I wanted to sit at and enjoy the great weather with a cerveza and my book. I had to sit inside a bit to obscure my presence in case Jose, the man I just met, wanted to talk about Paris Hilton. I've come out of the bubble in a big way.

When I arrive back at the farm, Tio is in the yard and I go up to say hi and greet the dog. We start talking about the plans he has for the farm; what work he needs to get done. I always ask him if I can help but he laughs and says no, but thank you. I want to ride the tractor.

At dinner we started talking about world history and politics. He is well versed on many subjects especially these. I told him that after being here, I realized how much I don't know about world leaders. I am ashamed by it and plan on studying more. Surprised how my Spanish is coming out to describe this, I also tell them that this trip is so I can learn about Spain and the world. When I walk, I see people and things and learn. Spain is different than the U.S. It is very different.

They both smile, agree and I think they finally get it.



No comments: