Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Really?!?






Still living off the Barcelona buzz back on the farm. 

When I returned, the family asked me how the trip was and I told them I saw many beautiful things. I was quite surprised to find out no one has traveled there. Showed them books on Gaudi I had bought to entice them to go. Most kinda looked at it, but not much.

I was curious, how come no one has gone?  "Because it's too far." they responded. 

I was NOT surprised to find the one person who has been there. Yep, you guessed it - Tio. Twice. As I showed him the book, he responds in delight "It's marvelous! Barcelona is a great city." and compliments me on the good purchase I made. 

I'm slowly finding out that I have more in common with this 91 year old than I would have ever imagined. One night when I was going upstairs to call him down for dinner, I started looking at his bookshelf. He has books on every subject imaginable. Including a Hemingway novel or two.

He tells me he reads a lot and on every subject because it is good to know things about the world. It's probably the reason he likes to travel and see things as well. I listen to him smiling as we watch the news. He is excitedly talking about the American election and Colin Powell's explosive endorsement. 

"Do you want to go to Covadonga?" I ask. "Yes, you can go if you like." he responds. "No, do you want to go together? In your car?" I explain still smiling. 

He looks surprised and tells me of course he would be honored to take me there and show me all the wonderful things Covadonga has. He asks Consuelo if she would like to join us. She doesn't want to. We both tell her "You should come with us." No, she's seen it already. He begins to argue with her "Why not?". I imagine Tio has seen it hundreds of times but every time he sees something in Asturias or Spain for that matter, it still has that magic for him.

We both agree to pick a very sunny day to go and he also wants to take me to the Picos de Europa. Not sure I'm up for a twisty mountain drive with Tio but we'll see. Besides the scary car driving, I really like taking trips with him. When he talks, I sit and listen like an eager student. I love hearing anything he says. He's very smart and has great insight about the world. 

I believe a lot of the family think he's crazy but he's just ahead of the curve. I mean, what 91 year old do you know that has a roving robot lawn mower? 

The family sometimes roll their eyes or shluff him off when he starts talking. He's a bit different then them. He's a bit different then most here and I tell him than most people I know back in the states. He just shakes his head and waves me off when I say this. 

I want another trip with him. I may need to take a flask of wine with me but I will walk on the wild side and get in the car again with that cat. It's worth it.

It's been rainy and cold the last two days. Fall is in full swing. After being cooped up long enough, I decide it's time for a walk outside, damn the rain. As I start to put on my raincoat, the family can't believe I'm going out. Tio looks at me, points at his head, laughs and says "I think you might be a little crazy." 

"A little crazy, yes, but it's goooood." I say with a mischievous grin. He just nods in agreement and gives me a big smile.

 




No comments: