Sunday, October 19, 2008

Floating is Fun






Ah. I can't say enough good things about Barcelona. During the day, I found museums, art, musicians, and artists. At night, I found all kinds of cool funky places with great people to talk to - that was the best. My last night in town I tried to take it all in. It practically killed me the next day but was worth it.

So my last night, I decided I wanted to float around town. Started out with drinks and dinner with Holland Harald. Got to know our Italian bartender, Luigi, a bit more. Great guy who started out working in Ibiza as a security guard for a bunch of girls. He assured me they were high class. Of course! 

I asked him if he had to ever "secure anything" and he told me yes. He had some guy he kicked out after pissing in the middle of the lounge, come back with five guys to beat him up. Luigi called the owner of the villa he worked in and then another fifteen guys showed up to beat the five. He said he spent two months in Ibiza and after experiencing the security detail of a high class hall, he decided that restaurant work is more his thing. He did say there were some GREAT benefits to it though. Of course!

I wanted to hit two other places. The first being this cool Rock and Roll bar I found a couple of nights ago after discovering Hipster Armpit Alley. Pretty easy to find just follow the bumping beats and people dancing in the streets. Don't forget the dirt and bombed out looking buildings.

The hipster bar was cool but I had wanted more music and stumbled upon this Rock and Roll place when I saw a blackened window accompanied by a hand written sign that said "Heavy Metal Music - You pick it and we'll let you sing". I could hear the screaming music from the outside and definitely wanted in. 

The 80's metal movement is alive and well over here. I think it's their version of Goth. Everyone is in black clothes, pierced, and generally looks pissed off listening to it. The cute curly blond bartender is in a Motley Crue T-shirt and has his requisite chunky metal jewelry. There's AC DC, Iron Maiden, Kiss, Ozzy all adorning the walls along with a couple of burnt and stitched up baby dolls framed with blood oozing out of them. Love it.

So walked into heavy metal heaven, on my last night and got quite a couple interesting looks. I guess I stuck out in a fleece jacket and a red girly top. After the bar grunted back at their drinks, a guy who showed me where the bathroom was offered me a seat at his table. Sat down with him and couldn't believe what we talked about. After telling him where I was from he launched into TV shows he grew up with.

It took me a minute to know what he was saying but when he started to talk into an imaginary watch saying "Kitt! Kitt! Where are you?". I screamed with delight "Knight Rider?!?!" In Spain it was called "Fantastic Car". 

So we get to talking 80's pop culture which also included my favorite cheesy made for TV sci-fi movie "V". This guy loved it and so did I. It's the movie where aliens come to Earth pretending to be our friends but are secretly lizards who want to eat us. We reenact certain scenes of them eating rats, their other favorite meal. Who knew I'd get a pop culture fix with a Spanish guy in a heavy metal bar? 

Then he asks if I want to play pool. As AC DC's "Back in Black" is cranking up, I excitedly say "Yea!!". Start to check the pool cue straightness on the table when the guy gives me a look. "What?" I ask. He gives me a suspicious look, like I'm going to take him for a ride. I do and I beat him. If you ever want to get a gut check on a guy's ego, ladies, I suggest playing pool with the dudes. 

He doesn't particularly like it but he's gracious. As I decide it's time to go, he asks me to stay. I tell him I can't but when I come back to Barcelona, I'll bring him a copy of "V". "When?" he asks and I start thinking that I'm sad to be leaving here. "I don't know, a year?" 

"Arrrghhh!!!" was the response but he gives me his phone number and tells me to call him when I come back. I tell him when I call, all I'll say when I call is V!! - In Spanish it sounds like Ooobee. 

I let down my hair for a minute and he looked at me with a long stare and tells me he likes it. Of course! - his hair is longer than mine.

Say goodbye to my Crue buddies and bloody babies and head out to RA which is nearby the hotel. Cool little spot with great music as well but they're closing up. Crap! but that's a good sign that it's time to head to sleep.

Get home to find Rocky on and he's chasing that chicken. Felt a surge of energy when he caught it.

The next morning was a bit rough. After I shoved my belongings in a bus locker, I zombie walked around town a bit more until my 10pm ride out. Boarded up and took my 13 hour ride back feeling a bit apprehensive leaving. 

Got that feeling a couple times this week. Once when I got a TO-GO cup of coffee after the guy asked me do I want it in a paper cup or a CUP cup. I took it to-go but it seemed foreign to not be sitting down with it. And another time when I started to hear English from all the British and American tourists around me and didn't like hearing it.  

Re-entry is going to be interesting. 








No comments: