Monday, October 13, 2008

Can't we all just get along?







Had a bit of a history lesson the last two days. That and a chicken scare.

After I was finished drawing in the field, I came inside to find a big knife on the table and a large boiling pot of water on the stove. I looked at Consuelo and said "Who's cooking?". I had planned on making some food for them today and was curious who had started without me. Manuel then tells me with a smirk that he is going to kill two chickens.

Uh no.

Which is exactly what I said to him shaking my head, looking at the knife and boiling pot. He smiled yes and made a finger cut against the throat gesture. Yesterday I was reveling in farm life and today I am about to throw up. Interesting shift.

I eat meat. I know it comes from somewhere and is killed but I'm not so sure I'm up for seeing it first hand. So I do what any non-farm living American would do. I head out for a chocolate cookie.

When I come back, I hesitantly look to see if any feathers are laying about and am relieved they're aren't. It appears the chickens have survived another day.

Yesterday morning I woke up to the Festival of Kings. A beautiful ceremony filmed in Madrid with the King, Prince and Spanish army. I recognized the Spanish country song playing as soon as I walked downstairs. Lots of horns, drums trumpeting the Spanish pride alternating with a delicate tinkling of bells and flutes.

The army men do some maneuvers and then organize to shout "VIVA!". Finally to top it off, a jet formation flies over spray-painting the Spanish flag in the sky. Not bad.

Tio gives me more info as usual. Today is a big fiesta day because it is the day that Columbus discovered America. It's like carnival - fireworks, people dancing celebrating America - Viva America!

Huh. In America all that coincides with Columbus Day is some bank closings and Indian vs. Italian protests. I think I like this version better.

The Spanish celebrate their independence fiercely and often. Everyone it seems has wanted a piece of Spain at some time or another. Tio's trip last week included a fiesta celebrating Spain's independence from France in a battle over 200 years ago. Which leads me to say to him: "Many people wanted to take Spain, eh?"

He explains to me all the battles they have fought. And while turning three shades of red he continues to tell me that he can't stand the French, the Germans, and the British. He's quite peeved over those century old battles. 

He follows this conversation up with another, which he tells me about the battle with America over Cuba and added that he can't stand Americans too. They will never be his friends!

"Uh dude, I'm American." I point out after he finishes and goes back to a normal flesh tone color. 

A smile comes over his face and he gently pats me on the arm. "You don't count cause you're family." Good to know.

No comments: