Friday, October 10, 2008

B to the RRRrrrrrrrrrrr






It's starting to get cooooold. The onset of fall is in full swing as I notice that most of my hangouts in Salinas have been boarded up. Summer is officially gone.

In addition to this realization, this morning I woke up to find no hot water. As I searched downstairs under the stairs to see what exactly is running down there, I opened the door and saw four of those salami traps.

I quickly shut the door.

Tio explained to me one morning after I shrieked to see two baby mice flopping on one of those things, that in a house like this we need these traps. He laughed in delight at my horror and guided me out the front door past it. He's got a sick sense of humor which makes me like him even more.

Even he's been hit by fall as he's recovering from a cold. I ask him if he needs any tea or medicine but his way of fighting a cold is piling on clothes and sweating it out in bed. Oh and also eating a ton of garlic which I got taste of one morning after unfortunately grabbing the jam after he had used it.

Yesterday was a poco y poco day of sun. People were out sunning on rocks, sand and a few brave ones were in the water. Checked out this one area just past a construction graveyard, which had a great concrete pier with a lot of fishermen.

I passed by this one guy who was shaking his head and saying something. I went in to ask him about the fish today and he said he hasn't caught anything. He reaches for this bag to show me he's only caught three fish. Maybe they're cold too. I ask him about the fish and if I can take a pic of his catch. As I leave I say "Good luck!" and he waves and goes back to the task at hand.

I'm hopeful for warmer weather when I hit Barcelona on Monday. Looking forward to the train ride out. I might not be saying that after hour seven of thirteen but we'll see. As it is right now, I could spend hours on a train and be perfectly content.

Checked out the Spanish gym today in an attempt to find a hot shower.

As always, the questions for forms are a way to make an idiot out of myself everytime.

Was thinking in English when the lady asked for my name. Thought she said number and I told her I didn't have one which was really saying I didn't have a name. Took me a second when I saw her face to realize what she said and I started laughing saying "Oh yeah, I do have a name."

A quick recovery but I squahed it by telling her my name was Penny which in Spanish sounds like penis. The next reaction was even more surprised and after I saw it and the massage therapist's face behind her, I quickly said "Ah, Penelope. Penelope!". Nothing like making an impression on someone when you tell them you don't have a name and then you tell them it's penis. Good stuff!

Nice little facility with a duded up weight room and funky fresh old school music. I realized that while my lower body has been getting a workout my upper body has not. I guess wine drinking doesn't count for arm curls. It's the first time that vacation hurts.

Maybe I need to drink more wine.





No comments: