Sunday, November 2, 2008

Adios!







"Take this, you're going to need it for the ride!" But I have absolutely no more room in my bags for anything. I am a horrible packer and really only needed to bring a third of what came with me. 

I come up with a good solution - my thermos which is normally used for water will now house the wine Tio insists I take with me. He wants me to take the entire bottle but I explain that I can't drink it all (or can I?) I also get four Spanish fans. Call it a Spanish care package for the ride home.

After some arguing amongst Consuelo, Tio and I, my thermos is emptied and filled with "The best wine in Spain!". Coming out of the kitchen, I take a swig and smile saying "Esta bien!". Jose sees where the wine went and starts laughing as I give him and the rest a cheers motion. 

It's another rainy day. Tio and I had returned from the library after reading our prospective newspapers. Him on one side reading the paper version and me on the other side reading the electronic. After Jose, Consuelo and Manuel take off, it's just me and Tio. We put my stuff in the car and the dogs are barking up a storm. 

"Did you say goodbye to them?" "No, but I need to!" We run over and give goodbyes and I continue on.

"Adios perros!"
"Adios casa!"
"Adios tierra!"
"Adios manzanas!"
"Adios paseo!"
"Adios playas!"

We drive to Aviles and get a couple extra turns in the rotunda for old times sake. Oh and we get lost getting to the station if that's even possible. Good thing we left a little early. 

I put my bags on the bus and give Tio a hug. "Thank you for everything." I say. He does what he always does when I say thanks - a shaking of his finger and a stern "I told you that you don't have to thank me!" 

"I know but thanks." He smiles big.

Load up on the bus, wave goodbye and I'm off to Madrid. On the way I get the last sights of this northern region I've called home for the last three months. The most spectacular mountain ranges I've ever seen covered with snow. As we continue further, I take another swig from my personal decanter of wine and watch as vineyards whiz by. 

Finally the sky turns seven shades of stunning purple with clouds that can't be captured properly by my camera. My mind will have to have to memorize it instead as I gaze to take it all in.

This country has so much, it continually astounds me. 

Land in Madrid and head to the hotel. Speak in Spanish with the staff and understand every lick of it. Get a good bite to eat at my favorite Galacian restaurant which has a lot more meaning for me now after I've visited there. 

A Spaniard asks me a question outside before entering the restaurant that I don't quite understand. He tries again and says "Oh, I thought you were from here". It seems a fitting ending that I get mistaken for a Spaniard. 

I assure him that the food here is Galacian.

I can't sleep. Does my body have hotel memory? I feel as if I'm experiencing the jet lag I first felt when I arrived. Or is it separation anxiety?

Get up early to hit the Reina Sofia museum and love that today, it's free. Also very fitting. Run up to the top because the first thing I want to see it Guernica. I stare at it for a long time. Reading the emotion in each stroke. I think of Tio explaining what it was like when the bombs hit and the painting has even more meaning.

This trip. These experiences. I couldn't have asked for anything better if I tried. I am blissfully happy and can't wait to explore more. This is my life.

And to top it all off, upon my return, I get to do the most American thing I can think of. Vote to put a black man in a white house. GO OBAMA!

Life is good. Adios!



 

No comments: